Saturday 14 April 2012

THE START OF MY LONG DISTANCE RUNNING/JOGGING/WALKING

I used to be somewhat serious about playing hockey, when i was in school. However since i broke my arm twice while playing hockey in 1972, so i had had to leave hockey for good. I started concentrating more on my education.

After qualifying as Chartered Accountant at the age of 24 in 1979, the desire to play some game once again showed its face. Returning back to hockey was almost impossible for me. Athletics had always been my second field of interest. I decided to enter the field of athletics.

I was working as external auditor at the Karachi Electric Supply Corporation , just behind the Elphinston Street. The nearest sports ground and centre was YMCA. So one evening after leaving from my office, i went to the  YMCA . It was the first time that i had gone there.  I met a very cooperative fellow, who was the incharge of sports there. I told him that i wanted to start athletics. He asked me if i had ever participated in athletics. My reply was a simple No. He asked my age. I told him that i was 26. He smiled and told me that usually at the age of 26 an athletes start thinking of retiring.

But as i always put it, i am a different person. I was keen to start athletics at the age when others usually leave. He advised me that long distance running would be feasible for me. He told me some basics of running, and i started visiting and running in the small YMCA mud track, almost daily in the evening. YMCA was at the walking distance from KESC.

I started running a bit in the morning in a park near to my house, and at the YMCA in the evening. I added some basic exercises for my fitness. However, since i was still carrying after effects of Tuberculosis, i was very careful about not to overdo anything. I may tell that i was a TB patient in my early twenties.(That's an another story).

I used to carry my sports shoes, short, track suit in a canvas bag, that i used to carry with me. The same bag used to carry my camera too. YMCA was also a talent hunting ground for me as a freelance journalist. The Arts Council too was very near from there, and i used to visit there too occasionally , to attend art exhibitions, after finishing my evening run at YMCA. From 9 to 5 i was the auditor. 5 to 7 i was a sportsman. From 7 pmonwards i was a freelance journalist, photographer, etc etc.

Now returning back to the topic. I attended a week long (evening) athletics camp in the YMCA, to have a better knowledge of athletics.


A day came when i was told that the Athletics Federation was organising a road race in karachi. I was more than excited . I decided to compete. The race was supposed to be started on the Shahrah e Faisal, in front of Hotel Mehran. My father accompanied me there. It was early in the morning (perhaps 7am). We were supposed to run from there till the turning towards Tariq Road, and then will have to turn from the next roundabout back towards the Numaish round about (Mazar of Quaid e Azam). In the above photograph i am the one standing, with green shirt. My chest number was 106. This photo was taken by my late father before the start of the race. The year was perhaps 1981 or 1982.

I started the race with great anxiety. It was my first race ever. I was going to be an athlete. I ran and ran and ran. But how long? A moment came when i had had to stop. I started walking, restarting running again. I kept on following the same slow process, till i completed the race.

When i reached the finish point, i found two persons waiting eagerly for me. They were none else but my late father and the athletics coach of YMCA. They both welcomed me and congratulated me for completing the race. I was the last person to complete the race. Most of the participants had already left for their homes, after completing the race. I was too happy. I had finished my first long distance road race. That was the start........and the race still goes on.

At the age of 56 i am still running, in the same way, in which i had run my first road race , some 30 years back. My running speed is still the same. I run , jog and walk. I no more participate in road races, because i am simply fed up of coming last in the race. I run/jog/walk for miles and miles. I enjoy running in my own style and at my own terms. I love it. 

2 comments:

  1. read all of it,and i learned more about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow wow wow....very Fabulous Journey Sir...May you Live Long with happy n Healthy Life...

    ReplyDelete